Introducing our plans Iain Gray, Labour leader said. “My plan is bold, radical and ambitious. We will abolish youth unemployment within the lifetime of the next parliament. But we must go further. That’s why a Labour Scottish government will put in place the building blocks to create a quarter of a million jobs and apprenticeships in the next decade.
The people of Scotland have told us that, now the Tories are back, they want a Government in Scotland that will fight for what really matters. What really matters is:
- guaranteeing an apprenticeships for suitably qualified youngsters and giving people unemployed for six months the chance of a real job
- ensuring knife criminals go to jail, cracking down on antisocial behaviour and bringing in new rights for victims of crime
- freezing the council tax for two years to help families through tough times
- halving cancer waiting times so you see a specialist and get results within two weeks, and ending the postcode lottery for care of the elderly
- putting literacy teachers back in classrooms to focus on the basics for every pupil and ensuring there is no price tag on university education.”